Professor Stephen Disney
Professor of Operations Management
- +44 (0) 29 208 76310
- Aberconway Building, Colum Drive, Cardiff, CF10 3EU
Professor Disney is currently on 12 months Research Leave at the University of California, Los Angeles until September 2016. He usually teaches Operations Management to MSc and MBA students at Cardiff Business School and Supply Chain Modelling to MSc students in the Mathematics Department of Cardiff University. He has extensive experience of teaching in-class, on-line and on-site to both Postgraduate and Executive audiences. Professor Disney has previously held Visiting Positions at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and Boston University.
Professor Disney's current research interests involve the application of control theory and statistical techniques to operations management and supply chain scenarios in order to investigate their dynamic and economic performance. Stephen has a particular interest in the bullwhip effect.
Stephen has advised several of the world's largest corporations on the bullwhip effect and his research has influenced the material flow of at least 1 in every 7 pound of UK retail sales. He has worked with many companies in the UK, US and Europe and on supply chains that operate globally.
- PhD entitled "The production and inventory control problem in Vendor Managed Inventory supply chains"
- MSc in Systems Engineering
- BEng in Manufacturing Systems and Manufacturing Management
- BST135 Operations Management
- BST514 Operations Analysis
- MAT006 Supply Chain Modelling
Additional teaching activities
Stephen supervises PhD students Carl Philip Hedenstierna, Qin Li and Virginia Marques.
- Bullwhip Effect
- Inventory Management
Stephen has led the following projects
PhD supervision research interests
- ARIMA modelling
- Economics and statistics of supply chains
- Inventory theory
- Order-up-to policy
- Supply chain collaboration
- Supply chain dynamics
Awards and scholarships
Research awards: Stephen received the Best Paper of the 2008 from the journal Production Planning and Control, a "Citation of Excellence" for one of the Top 50 articles published in 2005 on Management and a "Highly Commended" award from the Literati Club.
Associate Editor for the:
- European Journal of Industrial Engineering
- IMA Journal of Management Mathematics
Member of the Editorial Board of the:
- Journal of Business Logistics
- European Journal of Operational Research
- International Journal of Production Economics
- International Journal of Applied Management Sciences
- Open Management Journal
A short film of Stephen talking about his research is available from UKfutureTV.
- The Operations Research Society (ORS) of the UK
- The International Society for Inventory Research (ISIR)
- The Institute for Operators Research and Management Science (INFORMS)
- The European Operations Management Society (EUROMA)
- The Production and Operations Management Society (POMS)